
Dear, Daniel,
It doesn’t happen often, but how do I handle a situation in which a customer is applying for a library card and they have a previous account with fines in the system and claim they never created an account?
-Apropos of Apps
Apropos, the instant the customer says they’ve never applied for a card, take a look at the account, making sure the name and ID # match. If so, write down the card number and call the circulation team at either 31571 or 31574 to conduct a signature check. They will request the call number and a copy of the ID/TDL to verify the signature. If you cannot get away from the desk to deliver the copy of the TDL/ID to Circ, feel free to call your Floater to assist. Once the Circ team has located the original application and compared it with the signature on the ID, they will determine whether or not the card was applied for by the customer by analyzing the library card. Make sure you get a copy of the driver’s license for Circ Team so they can quickly and efficiently conduct the signature check. Only after you’ve gotten confirmation from the Circ team do you call us to inform us of the issue, however once the Circ team has made the decision that the card belongs to the customer, it is important to remember we cannot overrule this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear, Daniel,
I’ve been working on my new floor for several months now, but I was curious if I could change floors if I wasn’t satisfied there. If I can find someone to switch with or if there is a floor with a vacancy, can I move?
-Forlorn on the Floors
Forlorn, I’m sorry to say at the moment all floor arrangements are set. We offered the opportunity to switch floors in the first few days after the Basket of Destiny drawing. However, we will be switching floors again in December, so take heart that this switch is not permanent.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear, Daniel,
I understand that we now have new external floppy drives, which is great and all, but what is needed to check these out? Are there separate contracts or do we have to keep the ID like we used to?
-Flustered for Floppy Drives
All we have to do with them at this point is check them out to the customer’s library account. The check out for these is the same as is the laptops, 2 hours per use. The general rule in regards to checking them out is they must have a full-fledged library card, so no computer use cards for these. Reason being is if the customer is late, they are charged a fine and Computer Use accounts don’t accrue fines. Unfortunately we cannot override the rule at this time, but if a customer becomes upset, offer them a complaint form regarding the issue so perhaps the issue could be revisited at a later date.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear, Daniel,
I have a difficult customer who seems to complain about everything from the way I talk down to why some websites are collecting cookies or Internet issues that HPL has no control over. Is there any way to assist this customer without groveling? It seems that every time someone tries to assist him, he calls a supervisor and puts in a complaint form even though we’re all doing our very best to help!
Cantankerous over Customer
Y’all, If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times, some customers just can’t be satisfied, which of course leads to conflicts on whether or not to continue providing the same customer service we give to everyone else. What I would like everyone to remember is we must treat each and every person with the same respect we would give to anyone else, regardless of their attitudes.
There are forms of verbal abuse that we DO NOT have to take and we expect you to report, which of course would be yelling, cursing, and insults. If these ever occur, please inform them this is not acceptable and if they continue, they will be removed from the library. If they do continue, get security immediately and then call a supervisor. As we know, I’ve had several customers removed for these actions.
Some customers are going to complain. Some customers are going to be rude. If they wish to fill out a form for any reason then they are obliged to do so. We treat our customers as we would like ourselves to be treated. If they do not respond in the same way, then so be it. As long as we’re acting right, we’re in the right.
If you have a topic you would like discussed on “Dear, Daniel”, please feel free to email, call the office number or write an anonymous note and leave it on my chair. Please don’t put it on my desk; we all know it’ll be years before I see it. :) All entries are kept anonymous unless otherwise requested.
0 comments:
Post a Comment